[Dixielandjazz] First Tune of the night

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 26 12:49:16 PDT 2010

Ken Gates and Dave Richoux covered this subject well. Here is my 2
cents.

We always pick a tune that swings mightily. That said, I would add
that our tune picks depend upon the audience. Our band plays mostly to
audiences that are not as knowledgeable as the usual Jazz Festival
audience. Many times we only play one, or maybe 2 sets. Many times we
play to younger people and so we want to make sure that the song is:

1) Recognizable to the audience, or easy for them to follow and hear..

2) A swinging 4 beat number.

3) A tune on which all band members, including the drummer, solo well.

4) Usually an uptempo song, preferably a barn burner. (except weddings)

We figure that the audience will remember the first tune, and the last
tune played when thinking about how the evening went, or recommending
the band to their friends.

Our first song choices vary, but some favorites depending upon
audience are:

Wolverine Blues  (General Audiences)

Avalon (at shore gigs in NJ or DE.  (Avalon NJ is a Beach Resort Town)

C Jam Blues (swing dances)

I Can't Give You Anything But Love (weddings)

For general audiences, we almost always end with the Saints.
Introducing this last song as our "mystery number". They we all look
at each other and say, it's a mystery, what is it, etc. <grin> Then we
play the last few bars  rubato and slightly out of tune so that it is
unrecognizable to many in the audience. This is followed by the
drummer doing a New Orleans street beat and then a roll off into the
song which gets everybody in the audience up and clapping along.

Sometimes . . . gasp . . . the front line even marches out into the
audience. Depends on how we feel at the moment.

As Bill Haesler would say, "That's Entertainment.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband