[Dixielandjazz] Results: Can you give me any hope?

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Sun Jul 25 17:08:46 PDT 2010

Bob Smith wrote:

>" As far as the UK is concerned, jazz appreciation began, as far as I know,
>with the George Webb Dixielanders in 1947. "

Even in Australia, the arts end of the world, we know that that isn't
correct. Certainly George Webb had the first traditional jazz band in
England, but there was much jazz appreciation there from the twenties on. Of
course it wasn't as well documented or understood as it is today, but it was
certainly appreciated. England even had small magazines in the mid thirties
(even if they called it swing instead of jazz) before JAZZ INFORMATION hit
the American scene.

It's too big a subject to cover here, but I'll just mention the Parlophone
"Rhythm Style" series released in the the early thirties (in Australia also)
that ranged from Louis Armstrong to Joe Venuti, via Tommy Dorsey, Miff Mole
and the MCBB. So the record companies certainly caught on well before the
fifties.

I know that some books and magazines aren't universally available, but I
believe that we are all better off by reading about jazz as well as
listening to it.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell
Australia