[Dixielandjazz] Results: Can you give me any hope?

Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Sun Jul 25 03:28:42 PDT 2010

Dear Bob,

As far as the UK is concerned, jazz appreciation began, as far as I know,
with the George Webb Dixielanders in 1947. By 1950 there were jazz bands
over the whole of the UK. Even the record companies had caught on by the
early 1950's.
As you say, bands are still going strong in the UK, and there are many
young(er) people who frequent the jazz clubs, although, both in the bands
and the audiences, there is a preponderence of we old 'uns.
As I'm living just south of the Arctic Circle in Norway, I don't have first
hand experience, but both my brother-in-law in London and my cousin in
Birmingham are regular jazz club visitors and keep me posted on the
situation.
On my weekly jazz programme on local FM radio here in Norway I've had
several telephone interviews with UK jazz band leaders, and none of them
were pessimistic about the future of jazz in the UK.

Kind Regards

Bob Smith