[Dixielandjazz] The wheels go round!

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 02:53:15 PDT 2010

Jack Mitchell wrote:
> Bob Smith wrote:
>
>> " As far as the UK is concerned, jazz appreciation began, as far as I
>> know, with the George Webb Dixielanders in 1947. "
>
> Even in Australia, the arts end of the world, we know that that isn't
> correct.
I'm with Jack here
 George Webb started a /revival.

/The "Melody Maker"  was originally the pro musicians' UK journal and
we've got the copies from 1926-32.  Even then there was controversy
about what actually constituted "jazz" but "syncopated" music was
dominant in the popular culture. I've heard that the MM archives are
going to be available on-line but it's a mammoth task so I don't know
when that will be.

 Meanwhile, we're about to embark on another trawl through the 1926
volume to put together a programme of tunes and anecdotes ready for Bude
Jazz Festival www.budejazzfestival.co.uk.  I won't post the anecdotes on
the list as, in today's context, some of the record reviews are racially
offensive. If anyone would like to be copied in on some of the stuff ,
I'm happy to do this off-list. It's quite interesting to see the way
attitudes developed over the 6 years (wish we had more volumes).  At
first "white man" or was it (Whiteman? :-) ) reigned supreme and
"improved" the music but over time, reviews of recordings by black
musicians grew more  respectful.

As for George he has a huge place in the hearts of UK musicians. I first
met him about 20 years ago when I sang at a club he was involved with.
He told me that I should make the band leader let me do my own
announcements... so I did.... and since then no-one's been able to shut
me up!!

Keep playing the music and arguing about it

Jude (15 miles W of Oxford)

www.judyeames.co.uk