[Dixielandjazz] Regard for players

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jul 24 05:10:23 PDT 2010

>Sinatra had a high regard for his session
>players; he always treated them  with great respect.

Following (at least trying to!) in Sinatra's footsteps, years ago Julio
Iglesias had all of us (his band) in the dressing room after a 10 nites gig
offering a champagne toast to all of us.  When his manager knocked on the
door saying the press was waiting outside, he said "they can wait.  I'm
having a drink with my boys!"

By the way, J.I,'s pianist, director & arranger recently passed away.
Rafael Ferro (from Madrid) was with Julio through all of his U.S. residence
years, and even became a U.S. citizen.  I played with him in my early days
in Spain at a local jazz club, and later in many, many recording sessions.
He played in a modern jazz style, with great feeling.

He was a marvelous accompanist, and a really nice person.  He was 71, and
had a slight heart attack after a recent concert with Julio in the States.
He then flew back to his home here in Spain, and had the fatal attack at his
home.  He had recently called me to ask about paying his U.S. taxes while
living in Spain, as he was more here than there lately.  That's no longer a
worry, now.

Jim