[Dixielandjazz] Red Norvo goes nuts with Benny Goodman

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 23 01:00:33 PDT 2010

Jack Mitchell wrote:
> Red Norvo was here earlier than the Sinatra tour, about 1956 from memory.

Dear Jack,
Not bad for an old bloke!
The Red Norvo Trio [Bill Dilliard (guitar) Eugene Wright (String bass)] with Helen Humes  toured Australia (Melbourne, Adelaide, Newcastle, Brisbane, and Sydney) from 7 November to 12 November 1956.
This would be the visit John McCarthy recalled.
Part of the Sydney Town Hall Concert on 12 Nov 56 was recorded by the ABC and broadcast nationally on its Thursday Night Swing Club radio programme on 14 June 1956.
The Sinatra/Norvo tour took place in March 1959.
I had hoped that you would have saved me the time looking that one up.
8>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.