[Dixielandjazz] Red Norvo goes nuts with Benny Goodman

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 22 23:09:15 PDT 2010

Stephen G Barbone wrote [snipped for HC's benefit)
<just kidding Harry>:
> It may just be another example of entertainment schtick.
> "Goodman and Norvo did the same schtick for the performance of ''Gotta Be This or That' on the 'Swing into Spring' TV broadcast.......

Dear Steve,
After receiving your email, I revisited the clip again several times.
It looks like a fake cover over the vibes. The flexible 'thing' that Red Norvo throws to the floor.
I also sent the video clip to my mate, clarinettist John McCarthy.
As soon as we opened it together this afternoon, he immediately recalled that Red Norvo pulled the same 'act' with his trio at a concert here in Sydney (Australia) many years ago.
Norvo was here with Sinatra in 1959, but it may have been a later visit.
(My mate Jack Mitchell will know.)
Looks like is WAS an 'entertainment' gimmick.
Which, as we know, is what OKOM is supposed to be all about.
Kind regards,
Bill.