[Dixielandjazz] Red Norvo goes nuts with Benny Goodman

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 21 08:46:53 PDT 2010

> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> Dear friends,
> This one came through to me from ex-DJMLer Tom Wiggins, with the
> message:
>> Wait for Red Norvo's solo masterpiece (the whole thing). You're
>> gonna love this!!!
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQyt2n-Jh_A&feature=related&fmt=18
>
> This one is new to me.
> With Benny, the vocalist, in good humour.
> What was it all about?
> Who set Red Norvo off?
> Mmmmmmmm.
> Kind regards

Dear Bill & list mates:

It may just be another example of entertainment schtick.

Searching through the blogs here's one blogger's take:

"Goodman and Norvo did the same schtick for the performance of ''Gotta
Be This or That' on the 'Swing into Spring' TV broadcast. Anyone out
there have a copy of that? BTW, the joke element is clearer on 'Swing
Into Spring': Goodman and Norvo have a 'musical argument' before Norvo
goes into his routine"

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband