[Dixielandjazz] Drummers as to Rap

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Tue Jul 13 19:38:27 PDT 2010

<<I accept your (not real gracious)  response. I do think there are
certainly tonal distinctions with set solos, just  as I think there are tonal
distinctions and even something related to pitch  distinctions in rap, above and
beyond the "words."

I have totally screwed  up everything I've done today (in a very serious
manner) and so am willing to  accept that I screwed that up too.

Having said that, I do feel that the  basic element involved in each case
is rhythm.  You can make an excellent  case for timbre as well just in
passing.

Ignorant or stupid, under the  wrong stars in my life right now or
whatever, that is how I feel.

I think  I do get to say so.

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated  Listener>>

I respect your right to your opinion.

I do not respect your opinion.

A truly musical drummer is sensitive to harmonics, overtones, pitches,
timbres, and all the like.

I match my cymbal choice to chords, specific instruments, drums to specific
 chords and pitches, chord voicings, etc.

Specific drum heads . . . matched to the band and genre. My stick tray next
 to me holds 8 different kinds of sticks, brushes, and rods to match the
temperament and dynamic of the moment.

The compare that type of skill to rap, in ANY manner, frankly is  insulting
. . . but I'll get over it because I learned a long time ago, that my  kind
of skill, sensitivity, and musicality is rare . . . and to be honest . . .
many musicians have never had the opportunity to work with a drummer on
that  level . . . and . . . depending on your geographic location, you may not
have  had the opportunity to be exposed to such.

I am not implying that I am unique, but there are not many of us.

Bill Sargent, MD    (Musical Drummer)

_http://Facebook.com/BillSargentBands_
(http://Facebook.com/BillSargentBands)

_http://Facebook.com/BillSargentDrums_