[Dixielandjazz] Stan Freberg

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 10 18:33:03 PDT 2010

Don Kirkman wrote [in part]:
> A lot of German Google hits attribute "Poisoning Pigeons" to Georg
> Kreisler, who recorded it as early as 1962.  I don't know the timing
> for Lehrer.

Dear Don,
(and all who, like me and a lot of jazz people, have this stuff in their MKOM basket)
Tom Lehrer recorded "...Pigeons in The Park" for RCA Victor on 8 July 1959.
We saw him, on stage, here in Australia in about March 1960 during his 3-month, 33 concert tour of Australia and New Zealand.
The curtains were open, with a grand piano centre stage when a dinner-suited presenter walked on stage, gave a warm introduction to Tom Lehrer - then sat down at the piano and explained that, as none of us knew what Lehrer looked liked, he decided to save money on an MC and do it himself. It set the tone for the evening.
We knew the 1953 LP 'Songs of Tom Lehrer' by heart, but the live experience was even more wonderful.
He was banned in our 'Deep North' state of Queensland for singing the boy scout song "Be Prepared' and had 5 songs censored from his Adelaide, South Australia, concerts.
   http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/28/1046407753895.html.
I have a well-produced limited Edition 3-CD boxed set, 'The Remains Of Tom Lehrer' (Warner Archives Rhino R2 7831) complete with an 80 page hardcover informative booklet that includes the lyrics to all his 50+ songs.
This CD set contains the complete studio recordings augmented by live performances (1953-1999).
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: My son's father-in-law, a CSIRO scientist, had (at his request) Lehrer's "We Will All Go Together When We Go" at the conclusion of his funeral service.