[Dixielandjazz] Just wondering

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Fri Jul 9 23:27:18 PDT 2010

On 10/07/2010 04:40, lovethatbass Captain Bass wrote:
> has anyone here on this group ever played with a 3-4 piece dixieland band. My band is reorganizing and we eliminating a couple of musicians do to there attitudes. This is what we are coming up with Drums, Tuba, Trombone and a banjo player or keyboard player/ We are just so tired of putting up the slf serving attitudes that we are dealing with. I know a dixieland groups have much more. But I am just having not a good time dealing with impossible musicians.
> Kirk

Well, you kept the tuba.  That is a great start.

As the trombone is the only 'lead' instrument, there is a lot of
responsibility on him/her.  If he/she can hold his/her own with melodies
and soloing, I don't see any problems with the lineup.  Unless you are
doing a tribute band (A Hot Five/Seven band needs a cornet; a Bechet or
Goodman band better have a reed), don't worry about the line up.  It it
works, if it swings, go with it.

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson