[Dixielandjazz] Just wondering

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Sat Jul 10 06:25:08 PDT 2010

Most of my band's gigs are 3-4 pieces, occasionally 5. Cornet, clarinet
w/soprano, banjo, tuba, (second sax w/clarinet). If the banjo player, and
to a lesser extent the tubist, play rock solid rhythm, you certainly don't
need drums. A hot trombonist can replace the cornet or clarinet, but you
want 2 horns for a workable dixieland sound that pleases audiences.

Most of my gigs have been commercial, so early on I sought to determine
the best combination. Having 2 horns is a lot easier for everybody on
longer gigs, and can generate more excitement, but a trio with a hot
clarinet can work well. Lately I've been using 2 horns and banjo on
miscellaneous trio gigs. We always play 2-beat rhythm style, which
inspires virtually instant audience reaction, and is more natural for a
banjo-tuba rhythm combination.

(I'm not forgetting the wonderful Paris Washboard--t-bone, clarinet,
piano, washboard.)

--Sheik (banjo, piano, guitar, washboard)