[Dixielandjazz] My experiences with improvisation (was: Teaching Jazz improv to a new band memeber.)

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jul 6 15:07:48 PDT 2010

I'm not a trombone player but I have observed a lot of good players and they
rarely, when improvising, go past third position.  They tend to play in the
upper registers where the harmonic series is closer together and so the step
and a half at third will just about get them anywhere they want to go.  It's
also a lot faster than waving all that pipe around.
Larry
StL