[Dixielandjazz] My experiences with improvisation (was: Teaching Jazz improv to a new band memeber.)

Bob Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Tue Jul 6 13:27:03 PDT 2010

I've played trombone for many years, but had difficulty in improvising, so I
experimented with a tenor recorder, and here I made fairly rapid progress. I
think the problem with the trombone is that the slide positions are not
logical in respect to the varios scale intervals. For example Low and middle
G are at the fourth position, whereas high G is best at the one and a half
position, and low F is at the sixth position, whereas middle and high F are
at the first postion, (and less useful at the sixth position). On the
recorder, the positions and intervals are logical, as they are on a piano
keyboard.

Otherwise I agree with the observations of other listmates regarding EARS,
practice, and overcoming the fear of making a mistake. Listening to the
chords, and thoroughly learning the tune are also excellent ways of becoming
proficient.

Cheers

Bob Smith