[Dixielandjazz] Johnny Hodges Take 2

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 4 15:47:02 PDT 2010

Bill Haesler wrote:
> Therefore, the common LP and CD titles would seem to be identical.
> ........... will check another source tomorrow morning.

Dear Marek,
As promised.
(Others may with to delete now, if not interested.)
The following is an edited extract from The Duke Ellington Music Society Bulletin 02/3 (December 2002 - March 2003), DEMS 23/2 discussion regarding the Jazz Factory CD JFCD 22840 'Coleman Hawkins Johnny Hodges. Complete 1949-50 Vogue Master Takes'.

"....[the] Hawkins session is followed by the sixteen Hodges titles of three Parisian sessions.

15 Apr 50: Jump That's All; Last Legs Blues (part 1); Last Legs Blues (part 2); Nix It, Mix It; Time on My Hands.

20 Apr 50: Run About; Wishing and Waiting; Get That Geet; That's Grand; Skip It.

20 Jun 50: Perdido; In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree; Mood Indigo; Sweet Lorraine; Bean Bag Boogie (Rendez-vous at the Hot Club); Hop, Skip and Jump.

Hodges' part of the CD is the same as previously issued on the Vogue LP VG 405 JLA.59, Jazz Legacy #9, titled "Johnny Hodges, The Rabbit in Paris", a French release from 1978.
Two earlier releases on LP were different: the French Vogue L.D. 588-30, Vol. 31 in the series Xe Anniversaire des Disques Vogue, titled "The Rabbit - Johnny Hodges" and the identical first American release on Master Jazz Recordings MJR 8107 "A Memory of Johnny Hodges".
These LPs have an alternate take of "Time on My Hands"... also ... the recording of "Wishing and Waiting" is missing on the earlier releases and the version of "Last Leg [sic] Blues" on the earlier releases turns out to be a bizarre edit of "Last Legs Blues (part 2)", with 4 bars of ensemble and 12 bars of piano removed and the last 8 bars of ensemble with clarinet obbligato replaced by a repeat of the first 8 (with a brief clarinet trill) which is then faded out."

I have these three sessions (minus the first 2 titles from 20 Apr 50*) on a Properbox 4-CD Hodges compilation, but have no LP reissues with which to compare them.
*The missing 2 titles are shown in the booklet but not on the CD insert and are missing on the CD itself.
However, "Last Legs Blues. Part 2" (based on the above description) does not appear to be this 'bizarre edit'.
Very kind regards,
Bill.