[Dixielandjazz] Satchmo Summer Fest - New Orleans

Katie Cavera kcavera at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 19 19:28:50 PST 2010

This past weekend I had the pleasure of teaching at the San Diego Adult Traditional Jazz Camp.  They've been running the camp for (I believe) 15 years, and this was my 9th year teaching.  This year we had Banu Gibson at the camp as a special guest because she is starting a Traditional Jazz Camp in New Orleans and wanted to see how our camp works.

The reason for my post is because she alerted me to something that may be of interest to the list.  Banu's New Orleans camp will be from August 1st - 6th and will coincide with Satchmo Summer Fest.  They have a number of hotel rooms set aside for the 'campers' and they need to fill the rooms in order to keep the hotel happy and not have to pay for them out of pocket.  So if you are interested in going to the hotel and staying in town for Satchmo Summer Fest but are not interested in attending the camp, then contact Banu (through the camp website) and she can help you get a special deal on the rooms. She was explaining to me that she's already been contacted by some "designated listeners" who just want to be there for all the fun.  And so they are thinking of how they can include everyone that is interested in participating and supporting what they are trying to do.  This includes historic jazz tours during the day, and evenings at traditional jazz
 venues.

The hotel is the historic Bourbon Orleans Hotel right in the middle of the French Quarter: http://www.bourbonorleans.com/

I believe the discounted rate through Banu is $100 a night, which is a great deal if you want to be in town and in the middle of all the action for Satchmo Fest. My husband and I have decided to go for the week and just make it a little vacation. Like many of you on this list, I feel strongly about supporting traditional jazz education and I want the New Orleans Camp to be successful. So if you're not interested in attending the camp as a student, but are considering going to New Orleans and would like to support what they are doing then visit the website and contact Banu. You can tell her you saw this on the DJML!

You can contact Banu about all of this at: info at neworleanstradjazzcamp.com

Here's the link to the camp website:
http://www.neworleanstradjazzcamp.com/

Hope to see you at Satchmo Fest!