[Dixielandjazz] Sigurd Rasher - was Nazi Band Rules

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jan 21 09:31:33 PST 2010

> When Eugene Ormandy conducted the Philadelphia, he forbade Glenn and
>> other orchestra members from recording jazz on pain of dismissal. He

You hit a nerve with this one.  When I was in college my instructors almost
to a man disapproved of me playing sax.  My major was the Oboe.  I played in
all the clubs on the East side of the river at Cape Girardeau, MO along with
many others over a 5 state area.  I was married with a baby.  I had to work
wherever there was a gig,

There was a lot of pressure put on me to mend my evil ways and stop playing
in the dives and clubs.  I almost lost my scholarship several times over it
and I am sure I received lower grades because of it.

They made no bones about it.  If I expected to graduate I would quit playing
jazz in the clubs.  It didn't happen but the threat was there.  My piano
player did flunk out but came back a year later and finished his degree.
I'm not sure if my drummer ever finished school.

Many years later I retired as a teacher and since I worked for the state
they gave me the opportunity to see all my records and remove anything I
wanted.  I came across the packet of recommendations that the college
placement bureau sent to my employer.

I have to tell you I was shocked.  I would not hire the guy they were
describing.  The recommendations ranged from luke warm to bad.  To this day
I still can't believe I ever got a job teaching.  Those guys stabbed me in
the back.  I think that it was because I played sax in the clubs and this
was the way they could get back at me.

When they started a big jazz band I was barred from participating.  While
this all happened almost 50 years ago it still bothers me some.
Larry
StL