[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 17 14:48:42 PST 2010

Stephen G Barbone wrote [in part] regarding my part in this debate:
> I am not aware whether I agree with him [Haesler] or not since I don't know his view and do not believe he expressed one.

Dear Steve,
I did, over two hours ago and received it back via the DJML almost immediately.
Very kind regards,
Bill.

Here is what I posted:

Marek Boym wrote [in part] in reply to Steve Barbone:
> Bill did not really disagree - he just considered Gonella more a
> jazzman than swinger.
and

> My listening experience shows that Gonella was a natural jazzman, with
> instinctive - rather than studied - swing.

Dear Marek,
You are spot on.
On both counts.

> Take a CD of the Gonella band and listen, and then judge.

Unfortunately, that may be harder in the US than you think .
A check of Worlds Records and Venerable Music shows only 5 CDs between them, although Amazon is slightly better.
There is nothing on the Red Hot Jazz Archive.
Very kind regards,
Bill.