[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 18 07:03:55 PST 2010

Bill Haesler wrote: (polite snip)

> Here is what I posted:
>
> Marek Boym wrote [in part] in reply to Steve Barbone:
>> Bill did not really disagree - he just considered Gonella more a
>> jazzman than swinger.
> and
>>
>> My listening experience shows that Gonella was a natural jazzman,
>> with
>> instinctive - rather than studied - swing.
>
> Dear Marek,
> You are spot on.
> On both counts.
>
>> Take a CD of the Gonella band and listen, and then judge.
>
> Unfortunately, that may be harder in the US than you think .
> A check of Worlds Records and Venerable Music shows only 5 CDs
> between them, although Amazon is slightly better.
> There is nothing on the Red Hot Jazz Archive.
> Very kind regards,

Dear Bill:

I finally saw your post.

I respectively disagree with your and Marek's assesment that Nat
Gonella "was a natural jazzman, with instinctive - rather than studied
- swing."

Chalk it up to a difference in they way we listen to jazz. As I hear
him,  Gonella was far from "Instinctive" concerning jazz, or swing.
The way he plays sounds to me like he copied down every Louis
Armstrong solo he could, then practiced them over and over until he
could play something close to their notes, and then used them in his
performances. His attempts to copy Armstrong's phrasing, articulations
and tone are quite evident (and quite lacking) also.

Ditto as a singer vs. Bing Crosby.

I am in the camp of those who say that Nat Gonnella was pretty square.
IMO there are many other British jazzmen to chose from, who more
exemplify what jazz and swinging are.

The comparison between Nat and Bing 1937 vs. 1932 on the same tune
shows that Nat and his band were far behind in their concept of jazz,
swinging and scatting.

BTW, did anyone besides Bob Ringwald marvel at Bing's 1932 singing and
scatting on "Some Of These Days?"  He was a good example of a "natural
jazzman, with instinctive - rather than studied - swing." <grin>

Here's the link again: (Notice the way he scats using his voice as an
instrument. He scats a MELODIC improvisation while making all the
chord changes) That's Jazz. Hmmm, did Ella, Mel and the others copy
Bing?  Bill Haesler can you identify the band backing Bing on that
record, for us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgzR4jINXF8

As Bob said, Bing;  "opted to go commercial for the big bucks. I can't
say I'd blame him. If they paid me enough I'd sell out also." Who
among us does not agree? For an example of his commercial success,
circa 1931, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yib17tXwxj4&feature=related

Cheers,
Steve Barbone