[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 17 14:29:44 PST 2010

Dear Marek:

Marek Boym wrote: (polite snip) regarding comparing recordings of Bing
Crosby vs. Nat Gonella on the same tune being not relevant

> No.  I did not speak of singing, but of playing. Hence the lack of
> relevance.

Had you listened to the recordings before you spoke, you would hear
the band backing Crosby vs. the band backing Gonella. And if you were
listening, you might then have realized that Gonella's band was pretty
much copying Crosby's band. The fact that Gonella also copied Crosby
singing style was secondary. In my ears Crosby's band swung more than
Gonella's. As to Crosby's singing, that's a given.  A listen to that
1932 Crosby record of Some Of These Days is a great learning
experience for those who remember him only as a crooner.

>> Barbone wrote: As for Bill, I can't speak for him
>
> But you have agreed with him.  Is that not an interpretation of what
> he said?

I am not aware whether I agree with him or not since I don't know his
view and do not believe he expressed one.

> the American band of
> Ray Noble did swing.  As to the British one, I cannot express an
> opinion.

What? You never heard Noble's British band featuring Gonella? As far
as I hear them, both Noble band's swung more than any of Gonella's.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband