[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 14:07:33 PST 2010

On 17/01/2010, Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net> wrote:
> You are a trip Marek.
>
> You say the comparison to Bing is not relevant, yet have not listened to it.
> Nothing like an unsupported opinion is there?

No.  I did not speak of singing, but of playing. Hence the lack of relevance.

> Of course I prefer the American bands to Gonella because the fact of the
> matter is that they are FAR superior, and swing much harder. Even Fletcher
> Henderson of the 1920s swung harder than Gonella.

You apparently have not heard the bands in question.  Perha0s the
american bands - yes, but Gonela's - no.

> As for Bill, I can't speak for him

But you have agreed with him.  Is that not an interpretation of what he said?

>and neither should you attempt to do so.

> As for what your ears hear, that's OK with me. What I hear is a rather stiff
> copier of Louis Armstrong and when I see him on You Tube I see a rather
> stiff stage presence, copied from who knows? And I have seen/heard enough
> Gonella to last me a lifetime
>
> I do not see/hear an instinctive jazzman at all. In fact, I believe even Ray
> Noble's band swung better than anything Gonella did, especially after
> Gonella left Noble's band.

As usual, contrary for the purpose of being so.  The American band of
Ray Noble did swing.  As to the British one, I cannot express an
opinion.

 Cheers,