[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 17 08:31:14 PST 2010

You are a trip Marek.

You say the comparison to Bing is not relevant, yet have not listened
to it. Nothing like an unsupported opinion is there?

Of course I prefer the American bands to Gonella because the fact of
the matter is that they are FAR superior, and swing much harder. Even
Fletcher Henderson of the 1920s swung harder than Gonella.

As for Bill, I can't speak for him and neither should you attempt to
do so.

As for what your ears hear, that's OK with me. What I hear is a rather
stiff copier of Louis Armstrong and when I see him on You Tube I see a
rather stiff stage presence, copied from who knows? And I have seen/
heard enough Gonella to last me a lifetime

I do not see/hear an instinctive jazzman at all. In fact, I believe
even Ray Noble's band swung better than anything Gonella did,
especially after Gonella left Noble's band.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone