[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 05:22:07 PST 2010

We have already established that you always prefer American to
European bands, because jazz was born in the US.
Gonella's band swing as hard as all of the bands mentioned, except
perhaps Webb's (even if I'd rather listen to BG - but he has always
been my favourite musician).  the other exceptions - Count and Duke -
were mentioned in my previous mail.
Bill did not really disagree - he just considered Gonella more a
jazzman than swinger.
The comparison with Bing is not very relevant; nevertheless, I am
going to watch both when I have the time.
My listening experience shows that Gonella was a natural jazzman, with
instinctive - rather than stidued - swing.  Take a CD of the Gonella
band and listen, and then judge.
Cheers