[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:58:01 PST 2010

Hello Ivor,
In the days Gonella established his name, what they played was mainly
"swing" (later renamed "mainstream" in British jazz press, following
Stanley Dance).
A friend of mine has a CD by the Gonella band, and it swings like most
American bands.
Gonella's jazz instincts are the more conspicuous when compared to,
say, Harry Roy: when one listens to the same popular numbers played by
both, Roy often has that "dance band" feel, while Gonella swings his
ass off!  Never mind his jazz classics; just try "Three Little
Piggies!"
Cheers