[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Ivor Jones banjones at sapo.pt
Fri Jan 15 10:10:38 PST 2010

Nat Gonella was one of the first British musicians to establish a major reputation as a jazz soloist.
He became a household name in the decades between his emergence as a star in the 1930s and the
end of the Trad Boom in the early 1960s, and remained active in music until the end of his life
becoming a hugely popular draw as well as occupying a pioneering role in the development of jazz in the UK.
I don't think that he played a lot of 'swing' Marek
He was a Londoner and my father used to employ him for charity events he used to run for a London Busmens
Health Fund. This was in the '30s. My first introduction to jazz. The terms of contract with my Dad included
two bottles of good whisky. Later dad employed Harry Gold and his Pieces of Eight, with Ivor Mairants, he knew both men.
These I met again later at some airmans camp celebration when I was conscripted into the Royal Air Force.
.

Regards from

Ivor Jones in Portugal