[Dixielandjazz] Nat Gonella

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 15 16:32:24 PST 2010

Marek Boym wrote (in part]:
> In the days Gonella established his name, what they played was mainly
> "swing" (later renamed "mainstream" in British jazz press, following
> Stanley Dance).

Dear Marek,
Mmmmm. Debatable.
No one has yet mentioned the influence of Louis Armstrong's records on the young Nat Gonella in the early 1930s.
An influence that remained with him all his life in the tunes he played and sang.
He is also credited with giving Louis the nickname Satchmo when they finally met on Louis' first visit to London in 1932.
I could go on, but would prefer that you search out and listen closely to Nat's early records and judge for yourself.
Very kind regards.
Bill (who has most of Gonella's pre-war records on 78, LP and CD).

Check these sample links:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeW0aOMDulw&feature=related
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGfY6hEF9iY