[Dixielandjazz] Wineries As the Scene of Australian OKUM

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sun Jan 10 19:09:58 PST 2010

Ginny wrote:

> Maybe we can hear from some OZ list mates
> on the frequency of "winery as venue"
> because I'm aware of some other
> instances of  musos gigging there.

Part of the reason I named my band the "Zinfandel Stompers" was to
help us get winery gigs. About 40% of our gigs to date have been
at wineries, and more than half of the gigs booked so far for 2010
are at wineries.

These aren't at "jazz festivals" at wineries, such as those (very
good) ones that Dave Richout mentioned. Rather, these are bookings
where one band plays for 2-4 hours on a given afternoon or
evening, as part of a winery event. Some of the events are for the
winery's "wine club" members only, while others are open to the
public.

We've also performed for a "wine and jazz dinner" event at a local
restaurant. There were several members of a local wine aficionados
group in attendance, and they booked us on the spot for their
annual BBQ, the very next day. Both the restaurant and the wine
group hope to make these annual bookings....

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers