[Dixielandjazz] Wineries As the Scene of Australian OKUM

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 10 14:42:52 PST 2010

Dear Ginny,
My Aussie mate Max Hughes summed it up pretty well with:
> But, at least in Melbourne, some of our wineries have restaurants attached,
> and feature OKOM as entertainment. Some operate at night, but most are for
> weekend lunches.
> Overseas artists appearing are not unusual, and in some cases Wine Jazz and
> Food festivals are featured at various times during the year, usually around
> long weekends.. They are certainly quite popular.

His Melbourne experience is typical for most of Australia.
We can certainly boast about our world-class wines for we, fortunately, have the perfect climate for vineyards.
Particularly throughout South-east and Western Australia.
Try
  http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&cr=countryAU&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU297&ei=k0tKS9LfOInIsQPDupW2Aw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAYQBSgA&q=Jazz+at+The+Winery,+Vineyard&spell=1
for some of the possibilities.
Unfortunately, our band has yet to be invited to play one of these 'festivals'.
Which, in a way is a relief, as most vineyards are located several hours drive from the major cities.
That certainly discriminates against those of us who won't 'drink and drive'.
8>(
Very kind regards,
Bill.