[Dixielandjazz] Critics and Stage Presence

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 7 14:25:51 PST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 3:01 PM, pj.ladd wrote:

> Barbone wrote: As was the instrument waving of the swing bands in
> the 1930s. <grin>>>
>
> Yeah! a line of trombones was particularly spectacular.
>
> I have no quarrel with that. Thats showmanship, but all the stuff
> the girl was doing was so obviously the result of a `Rock school`
> style of tutoring with nothing left of her own personality and I
> felt that it intruded into, not enhanced, the  performance.
>
> I seem to be in the minority here although one or two have crept out
> of the woodwork to support me.

You are right in that respect Pat, IMO of course. <grin>  And perhaps
the best way to inject one's own personality into the act is to keep
doing it in live performance. Then look at a tape of it, or get some
helpful suggestions by way of constructive criticism. Learn from one's
mistakes.

There is an interesting article on the current CD Baby blog about how
to make live shows memorable so that folks will by your CDs. Gist of
it is that audience doesn't buy music, they buy  "MOMENTS". And if the
muso creates Moments on stage, the audience responds with CD purchases.

It goes on to say that many of us musos feel that because we play
music and we are good musicians, then we have a good show. Big
mistake, etc., etc., etc, because if you do not create moments, you
will struggle for a successful musical career. The music is not enough.

Interested musicians and listeners can see the short article at:

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2010/01/episode-43-tom-jackson-creating-moments-on-stage/

Then if interested further, listen to the 51 minute interview with
performance coach Tom Jackson. Just click the sentence at the bottom
of the short article.

Nikki, if you are reading this, you might want to check the article
and interview.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband