[Dixielandjazz] Criticizing the kids - was Nickki Yanofsky

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 6 08:33:54 PST 2010

> "Craig Johnson" <civanj at roadrunner.com> wrotre (polite snip)
>
> I thought it was our general intent to encourage youth to
> sing real music like this, rather than the crapola they listent to.
> --- not to say awe -- that ain't so good.
> "Someone with the strength of mind" ---  to put down a  15 year old
> is
> equivalent to grandfather who brags about beating his
> 6 year old grandson at chess.

Bravo Craig. We have enough "professional" critics in this world
without adding amateurs. Especially critics of the kids who like the
music.

Reminds me of some of the early critics of Jonathan Russell, dissing
him when he was 8 because he didn't sound like Joe Venuti or Stuff
Smith when they were at the height of their fame.

I love the musical kids, especially when they have the balls to get
out there in front of an audience and perform at a young age.
Hopefully their mentors have told them about "critics" and advised
them to disregard the fault finding naysayers. Hopefully the kids will
learn to be secure in their own talent and laugh at those who
criticize what they do.

Speaking about Ella. One story about her is how Chick Webb said upon
seeing her the first time, I don't want that dog in my band.
(paraphrased). Yet after he later relented and she joined the band, he
loved her singing and the way she sold her songs. And a few days
before he died he said to Teddy McRae: If anything happens to me,
don't let the guys mess up, take care of Ella."  (Source - Stuart
Nicholson's Bio of Ella)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband