[Dixielandjazz] NPR.org - The Loudness Wars: Why Music Sounds Worse

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Wed Jan 6 06:30:33 PST 2010

I found the article on compression interesting too. Unlike Jim, I do
most of my CD-listening as background music, saving the "savoring"
moments for live performances - just don't have enough time to savor the
music when at home. So, therefore, I actually approve of the dynamic
compression being used today.

I suppose if I had the best possible scenario I would have a set of CDs
for active listening and a different set (but maybe the same
performances) for background listening, with the former uncompressed.

But when I'm in my car or in the kitchen making dinner, for example, I
don't want to have to turn up the player for the soft parts and then get
blasted out on the loud ones.

This is true for one CD varying widely from another as well. One thing I
love about burning my own compilations using iTunes is that it attempts
to average out the dynamic range to compensate for some CDs that are
burned at louder levels than others, so one track doesn't blare out
while another can hardly be heard.

Just two cents from a lowly listener :-)

Beth