[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Dykes + 3

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Tue Jan 5 14:44:05 PST 2010

Stephen G Barbone wrote:
> Seems to me there was a trademark battle going on between the current
> Dukes of Dixieland and The Real Dukes, led by list mate Mike Marois
> who plays tuba with the Real Dukes, and is the Nephew of Frank and
> Freddie Assunto and grandson of Papa Jac Assunto. I'm not sure how it
> all turned out.
I think Mike Marois (nephew of Frank and Freddie, and grandson of Papa
Jack, and one hell of a tuba guy) told me that he won the battle over
the band name.  When he was out on the West coast, he used the name The
New Dukes because he couldn't use the name created by his family.

I haven't heard from Mike since 2005 when he offered to drive 11 hours
to lend me a helicon for Sac à Pulses' gig in Lafayette, LA.  What a
guy.  How many of you would drive 11 hours to LEND someone an instrument?

What I said about Mike regaining the rights to "The Dukes of Dixieland"
is in the 'I Believe' department.  Do not quote me as a reliable source.

As for the Google spelling correction suggestion, I wonder if the fact
that Mike is a computer guru too has anything to do with it.

All the best of everything to everybody.

-Gary

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand