[Dixielandjazz] Progressives and Women in Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 2 15:01:03 PST 2010

>  Bert Brandsma <dixieorkest at hotmail.com> wrote (polite snip)
>

> A few years age, the leader of the Dutch Swing College band stated
> before a TV camera that there were no young musicians available who
> could play trad jazz on a pro level, so that's why he preferred
> people of 70 - 80 years of age.
>
> The most popular TV piano player in our country was asked a few
> months ago why he had only men in his band, he answered, there are
> no women that can play professionally.....

Hello Bert:

Count my band as an exception to the "conservative and no women"
rules. We tend towards progressive in both areas. Our music is a kind
of "modernized" Dixieland where we depart from strict traditional rules.

And when our trombonist passed 2 years ago we found it hard to replace
the legendary Glenn Dodson of Philadelphia Orchestra and world wide
fame who was a wonderful jazzer besides. We fionally decided on a 29
year old FEMALE trombonist who is just marvelous. Cindy Leiby is her
name.

And, there are quite a few women in OKOM bands here in the USA. From
Bria and Katie, to Ginny and Nicki, etc., etc., etc.

In my 60 years of playing paying gigs, I've run across quite a few
women who can play professionally , including pros like Melba Liston,
Beryl Booker and Mary Lou Williams of years gone by.

Most Dixieland Bands may well be conservative, but I think the
modernists are quite the opposite.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband