[Dixielandjazz] Progressives and Women in Jazz

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Jan 2 15:41:08 PST 2010

One trad group that figured out the solution - Midnight Rose (a
California Central Valley off-shoot of the Tuleburg JB) has a woman
leader (Dannie Balser on trumpet) and her sister Nancy on reeds.
Dannie's mother played piano. (I am guessing the band is still active,
but I have not heard from them in a while.)

Also there is a Jug/Jazz band (Mic Conway's National Junk Band)  in
Australia that has a woman Sousaphonist - Cazzbo Johns - very talented
- here is her blog: http://cazzbo.blogspot.com/

Dave Richoux