[Dixielandjazz] Wisdom for Twenty Ten

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sat Jan 2 14:49:06 PST 2010

I sent a brief New Years sentence to friends:  "Get in more jams, but
don't get in a pickle."  to which one response was:

Bill- You came very close to my definition of jazz. Jazz is:
"constantly getting yourself into a pickle, which in turn forces you to
jam your way out of it". The better you get, the bigger the pickle. How
many times have you told yourself during a solo,"how am I going to get
myself out of this one?". If you came away with the "pickle", your
"jam" wasn't sufficient. Food for thought...

Then another response was:
Or, if you find yourself in a jam, best to get pickled.

God, I love musician's notions of wisdom!

Bill S.