[Dixielandjazz] Roger Krum Update

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Feb 20 21:29:54 PST 2010

This is a health update for Roger Krum.

Looks as if it is going to be a long process.  So rather than continuing to post on DJML, If you want to receive updates on his health, send me a private email and I will put you on a separate email list.

Send to rsr at ringwald.com

 Roger Krum was the Exec Director of the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee and the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society for many years.  He also played bass in the Fulton Street Jazz Band for about 20 years.

Here is the latest update.

Today was a tough day for us. My dad had been very lethargic and a bit confused when he was awake over the last two days. Yesterday he had a CAT scan of his head. The results were negative for a stroke. However, this morning he was not able to wake up fully. He would stir and try to wake up, but could not. His doctor was concerned about his behavior and the fact that the strength in his left arm is so disproportionately less than that of the right. He sent him for an MRI of his brain today. The MRI showed that my dad has had several small strokes. While this is very scary news for us, the neurologist that we spoke with late this afternoon stated that he did not see anything that would lead him to believe that my dad could not make a strong recovery if not a complete recovery from the strokes. He told us that it will take time and therapy and that my dad will have good and bad days, but that he can recover. My dad sort of “snapped” awake in the early afternoon and was quite lucid until he went to sleep at around 8pm. He even showed some of his regular sense of humor. He made a few silly jokes. They were really nice to hear. He has still not been cleared for eating but he did request some other flavors of ice. We loved it.

Although today’s news was really scary, we are glad that we know what we are dealing with and that it sounds like something that he can overcome. We know that he will try.

Alison

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4883 (20100220) __________

http://www.eset.com