[Dixielandjazz] Jack Jackson (was THIS DAY IN JAZZ)

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 20 21:02:40 PST 2010

Pee Wee Hunt's "Twelfth Street Rag">>

Hi,
I well remember Jack Jakson playing Twelth street. Along with everyone else as it was top of the hit parade for some time.
Jacksons 11 o clock show on a Saturday was a must. That was always the end of a regular Sat urday night out.There were  4 regulars, of which 2 of us survive. We would have drunk our way around most of the pubs in town after a 7 o clock start. We were only just learning how to drink and although we would consume perhaps 10 or so pints of beer each we would also intersperse that with a round of 3 rums and a whisky. Exotic interludes of cherry brandy with a pale ale chaser, black and tans, light topped,and half and half filled out the evening.But just before eleven we would  all pile into my Morris Eight, no drink driving laws then, and go to the house of the parents of one of us. They would top us up with coffee while we listened to Jack Jackson,I remember this well as there was a shiny brass plate opposite the seat I always occupied and I would drunkenly watch this plate move up and down the wall as I developed the `spinning pits`. Oh the fun we had!
I remember Jackson one night playing `Heartbreaker` five times in succesion `because he liked it`
I am surprised that I can remember even that!

Cheers

Pat