[Dixielandjazz] The Dixie Rebels, Big Jeb Dooley

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 20 18:15:01 PST 2010

 > Bob Romans writes about the Dixie Rebels: (polite snip) "These guys
were HOT!!!!

Yes indeed they were Bob. During the 1940s/50s bands with this type of
hot line up line up, Pee Wee Erwin, Lou McGarity, Kenny Davern, Gene
Schroeder, et al were performing regularly at joints like Condons and
Nicks. Then add Conrad Janis, Hot Lips Page, Bob Wilber, Edmond Hall,
Billy Butterfield, Sidney Bechet, Cutty Cutshall, George Wettling and
the others . WOW. That kind of hot Dixieland was the norm in NYC back
then.

Erwin was under contract (I think) with United Artists at the time
hence his "Big Jeb Dooley" pseudonym on the Command records.

Those of us who grew up on that music in New York City were indeed
lucky to have been there when it was being performed live.

When Erwin was at Nicks, circa early 1960s, the guys in the band
(Traeger, Spargo, Russo, Pace, and others would kid him about Big Jeb
being a better trumpeter than little Pee Wee.

Oh my, those were great days. The music and the humor  . . . sigh.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband