[Dixielandjazz] Bria's New Album - "Fresh"

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 21 06:19:19 PST 2010

Larry Swain wrote about his disappointment with Bria's new album,
"Fresh".

Well, it may not be Trad Jazz, but on the other hand, I think it is
terrific.  And I also think she is very smart to get more mainstream.
Perhaps that's why the CD is entitled "Fresh".

The trad jazz side OKOM is not known for providing a decent living to
many people., if any. When faced with the choice of making a living in
music, and/or playing OKOM, I think most musicians have to get
"outside" to make a living, and then play a little OKOM when the
opportunity presents itself.

Bria has a wonderful voice and I'm happy to see her showing it with
songs that have a broader appeal than trad jazz. I encouraged her do
do so in the past when we discussed how difficult it was to make a
living playing only OKOM.

I loved the song choices, from a swinging  L.O.V.E. which my band also
plays, to the Latin tinged  "Meet Me In Your Dreams", to the Bluesy
"Lucky Devil".  But then, I am more Catholic in my musical tastes than
most traddies.

If, like Larry, you are expecting Bria to play/sing just Trad, you may
be disappointed in this album, but if you love Bria's voice, her sense
of swing and her devotion to music, then you will enjoy "Fresh".

On the strength of her voice alone, she deserves more musical fame
and money than most of the current pop singers. Add her musical sense
to the equation and she should be at the very top. I don't think she
has a chance to get there with trad jazz only. So I say;  You go girl.
Live your dream. Appeal to the young audience with some wonderful
music and don't worry about a few of us old folks who may not like
what you are doing. We really are out of it as far as the music
business is concerned.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband