[Dixielandjazz] Program Help (Music content) "Web Site Blues"

andy.ling at quantel.com andy.ling at quantel.com
Thu Feb 18 10:04:12 PST 2010

Al Levy wrote on 18/02/2010 16:31:36:

Snip lots....

> For now if you go to http://alevy.com
> you will hear an MP3 of a midi file I sequenced.

Well what happens for is that firefox says I need to install
a plugin. If I say yes, it tries to install Apple Quicktime
which I have consigned to the same bin as RealPlayer for
similar reasons :-)

> If you click on http://alevy.com/alevybb.htm
> you can click on a song title with MP3 noted and it will be downloaded.

Yep, and I get the option to play or save it to disk.

> Last night I stayed up till the wee hours creating a really Mickey Mouse
> work around. Click on http://alevy.com/goodman.htm and click on a
> song title with MP3 noted and no downloading.

No, but I get the same plugin request as the front page.

> My aim is to prevent downloading but allow listening.
> I know there are better ways!

There seem to be plenty of sites that do the sort of thing
you want, so it must be possible. The site I mentioned
before is worth a read. It may not be exactly what you want,
but it might give some hints. Streaming seems to be
the "feature" you want.

MIDI was mentioned in another reply. It looks like you already
use it for some of your stuff. Yes, it is quick, but with
quality being dependent on the receiving computer. It also
has another problem, which I suspect is the reason you want
to move to MP3s. It is very easy to generate a score from
a MIDI file. Most music programs will read a MIDI file and
print sheet music from it. So it is difficult to control
what use it is put to.

Good luck in your search

Andy Ling

--

This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not

Quantel is the trade name used by Quantel Holdings Limited and its
subsidiaries.  Quantel Holdings Limited is registered in England & Wales.
Registration No: 4004913
Contact details for all Quantel Offices and Companies can be found on our
website www.quantel.com or by writing to the holding company.
Registered address: Turnpike Road, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 2NX, United
Kingdom