[Dixielandjazz] FW: Petite fleur

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Feb 18 09:01:51 PST 2010

>The original Chris Barber version of "Petite Fleur" was played by
clarinettist Monty Sunshine

That recording was heard a great deal in the U.S., at least on the West
Coast where I was, in the late 1950's.  Never having heard of Chris Barber,
after hearing Petite Fleur, I thought him to be a very good clarinetist!  It
wasn't long before I discovered the real Chris Barber, of course...as a
trombonist.  Monty Sunshine's name was not on the single.  It only read "The
Chris Barber Jazz Band".

Comments as to U.S. folks not knowing that much about European Jazz, but
Europeans knowing a lot about American Jazz is a natural thing, I believe.
It all began "over there", so for Europeans to know anything at all about
Jazz meant knowing about U.S. jazzists.  Not much European jazz reached our
shores, at least in California, and there wasn't much need to look further
than our own shores.  In fact, most West Coasters didn't look much further
than San Francisco!  :>   ....at least in the 1950's & 60's.

Jim