[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in Europe, (was) Petite fleur

Bert Brandsma dixieorkest at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 11:27:22 PST 2010

I totally agree with the remark that it is logical that Europeans know a lot about American Jazz, and less the other way around.

On the other hand, there is some point to think about developments through the decades in Europe that are worth knowing.

Many American Jazz musicians had a very good time in Europe, and it can be defended that several of their tours had a very possitive influence on their career.

As example I would like to mention Sidney Bechet, who allready came to Europe in the 1920's (And can be seen on a German movie).

Then Armstrong's tour to Europe in the 1930's was very important. A proof of this is his remarkable version of Dinah, filmed in Copenhagen.

One of the most memorable Jazz Videos ever. His first concert filmed, instead of some insane movie setup. (For sure, I love anything with Armstrong, including Betty Boop, but Dinah tops them all) It has Armstrong backed with a racially mixed band, impossible in public performances in his own country at that time, and besides this band plays much better than the commercial record he made in the US. For instance the soloists (Including Armstrong himself) are much better, and the backings in the final chorus are much more swinging.

Also Ellington gained much confidence when he toured Europe for the first time. He had the feeling he was more taken seriously as a composer. And he was able to do theatre concerts instead of backing dancers.

Coleman Hawkins leaving the Fletcher Henderson band freed him from being a sideman, he left when he got the possibility to play in the UK as a soloist backed by the Jack Hilton band.

A few years later he made very memorable recordings in Paris with Django Rheinhard. In fact even Gunther Schuller made a mistake in his book about Hawkins stay in Europe (The Swing Era).

Schuller noted that in Europe Hawkins was backed by inferior rhythm sections. Well, to my honest opinion, the sessions in Paris are as good as anything Hawkins ever recorded before.

And that certainly is not all alone to the credit of the Hawk. Then it is also known that he rehearsed and developed Body and Soul during the many gigs in Europe before he finally recorded it on his return to the USA in 1939. (I even spoke to eye-witnesses who actually have seen him play here end 1930's)

That brings us of course to THE original genius in Jazz born in Europe, Django Rheinhard. As original as anyone and if you count his imitators worldwide nowadays, he has in the long term been very influental. Also don't underestimate his sidekick Stephane Graphelli, how many USA violin jazz players were better?

In a way I always regretted that Adrian Rollini went to London, since he more or less lost his fame after that, but certainly want to memorise that he made some lovely records there, like Dixie, one of the most beautifull bass sax features ever.

Several USA giants spent their later years in Europe, at a time nobody asked them anymore in the USA, Johnny Dunn, Ben Webster, Don Byas, Chet Baker. (All died in the Netherlands, the last 3 I know for sure in Amsterdam)

Then we should not overlook two important European musicians, Albert Mangelsdorf - trombone, and Toots Thielemans.

A while ago there was a Sidney Bechet memorable concert in France with Wynton Marsalis and his gang, Bob Wilbur and Frenchman Olivier Franc. Who do you think interpreted Bechet best?

The guy who actually owns a soprano that once belonged to Bechet himself.

In the trad jazz scene the careers of the band led by Chris Barber and the Dutch Swing College band deserve international respect, for both quality and maintainence.

The Dutch Swing College Band will have a big concert on May 8. this years. The reason is that the band exists 65 years in 2010. (they started may 5. 1945, the day Holland was freed from WW2)

I feel very honoured and proud that the DSC band invited our Dixieland Crackerjacks to open their concert in Den Haag.

Kind regards,

Bert Brandsma

www.dixielandcrackerjacks.com