[Dixielandjazz] Petite fleur

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 08:53:49 PST 2010

I must tell you, Gerald, that even at 70, I believe I still have a lot to
learn about
American jazz, let alone European.  The day that I think I know it all will
be the day when they close the lid over me.(which I hope to be in the
distant future).

Yes, I did see Monty Sunshine featured on other numbrs on that DVD and I
remember remarking that if he's still around that he could conceivably be as
old as Steve Barbone.

Also, a thousand and one apologies for confusing "Sweet Georgia Brown" with
"Windmills of Your Mind" I've got to stop indulging in those strange
concoctions whilst watching videos.as I obviously tend to hallucinate.

I am glad that you are familair with the concert DVD to which I referred as
I was hoping that many others got to see it as well while enjoying it
tremendously myself.  I honestly don't think I paid any more than about $8
for it including shipping (still factory sealed)

As to the lead instrument on Barber's "Petite Fleur", one of my best
friends, Bruce McNichols of the Smith Street Society Jazz Band, who has been
playing soprano sax for perhaps 50 years, admits that even he finds it
difficult to distinguish it from a clarinet on some recordings, so I guess
as a non-musician I should be cut a little slack.

While I have the 45 of Barber's version, I can't remember when I last played
it but I will be sometime later today and I know I have Bechet's as well on
one of his CDs.

Thanx for keeping me on my toes, although with my present stature, I might
appear to be somewhat awkward.  When's the last time you saw a 6' 3" 250 lb.
ballerina?

Tides
HC