[Dixielandjazz] Satchmo's secret

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 17 13:50:19 PST 2010

 Bob Smith wrote to Rebecca [Thompson] [in part]:
> Just in case anybody is wondering about the man who walked round with you, it was Tad Jones who dicovered Louis Armstrong's baptismal certificate, and Gary Giddians (Giddins?) who discovered his birth certificate.

Dear Bob,
Perhaps, I've missed some recent discovery.
I was under the impression that Louis' birth certificate has not been located.
Tad Jones discovered the baptismal certificate, which was reproduced on page 48 of Garry Giddins 1988 book 'Satchmo'.
Mr Giddins acknowledges Tad Jones' important research contribution on page 233 of the book.
Rebecca will know if a birth certificate has turned up.
Very kind regards,
Bill.