[Dixielandjazz] Satchmo's secret

Mike Meddings mike_meddings at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 17 22:33:06 PST 2010

Dear Bill,

Like yourself, I am not aware that Louis Armstrong's birth certificate has turned up.

A few years back I picked up and handled the WWI draft for Lewis (Louis Armstrong) for the Draft Card project, and this can be seen at the first entry at:

http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/draftcards2.html

Best wishes.

Mike.

> Bob Smith wrote to Rebecca [Thompson] [in part]:
> Just in case anybody is
> wondering about the man who walked round with you, it was Tad Jones who
> dicovered Louis Armstrong's baptismal certificate, and Gary Giddians (Giddins?)
> who discovered his birth certificate.

Dear Bob,
Perhaps, I've missed
> some recent discovery.
I was under the impression that Louis' birth
> certificate has not been located.
Tad Jones discovered the baptismal
> certificate, which was reproduced on page 48 of Garry Giddins 1988 book
> 'Satchmo'.
Mr Giddins acknowledges Tad Jones' important research contribution
> on page 233 of the book.
Rebecca will know if a birth certificate has turned
> up.
Very kind
> regards,
Bill.