[Dixielandjazz] The Saints Go Marching In

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 9 07:13:54 PST 2010

>  David M Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com>
>
> Here is the clip with Terence Blanchard playing The Saints on the
> Rachel Maddow Show last Friday night. (there is a short commercial
> first.)
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/vp/35266443#35266443
>
> I assume this should work anywhere - it is a RSS link.
>
> Dave Richoux

Hey Dave:

Thanks for that link. For folks who didn't see/hear it, it was
Terrence Blanchard with a "modern" jazz group doing The Saints, on the
Rue Iberville in New Orleans in front of an appreciative crowd.
Apparently it was on the Rachael Maddow TV show. She also explained
that New Orleans is where jazz was invented.

Is there a lesson here?  Many Dixieland bands refuse to play the
"Saints" for one reason or another. Is it any wonder then, that we
didn't hear it during the Super Bowl?

Could it be that we, in our zeal to play obscure Dixieland tunes that
the mass audience neither  listens to, nor finds relevant  are part of
the reason this music eludes the mass audience? Could it be that if we
all played "Saints" more often, we would find that the various
audiences love it?

In my experience, we ALWAYS play Saints. at general audience gigs,  we
find that we have great success in developing a local young audience.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband