[Dixielandjazz] The Who Super Bowl Show - Was Playing for Free

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 3 09:42:04 PST 2010

Kash commented about his Coronation gig and a huge worldwide audience
not resulting in increased record sales. As opposed to the Who, are
playing the Super Bowl gig free and expecting increased sales/profits
as a future result.

I think the difference may be that the Super Bowl halftime show
presents the band as THE Attraction. The TV exposure is 12 minutes of
Band, screaming/adoring fans, pyrotechnics, hype etc. It is THE event,
the experience, not merely adjunct music.

We notice a big difference between gigs where we are part of the
background ambience  as opposed to gigs where we are the attraction.
Record sales are almost always much better in the latter case.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband