[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey, trumpet

Marvin Ipswitch cornet at clearwire.net
Sat Dec 18 01:53:57 PST 2010

Hello Bill et. al.,
It's my understanding there is a Clambake 7 recording from the mid-1930s
with TD on trumpet. I don't recall the title but if I recall correctly it is
listed in Rust  It might be "Will This Be My Lucky Summer?"

What I find fascinating is that his trumpet playing was the exact opposite
of his trombone playing.

A funny bit: listen to "Hot Heels" by Eddie Lang. During Tommy's solo
"tribute" to Louis, he enlists brother's help on the clarinet for one of the
high notes (at approximately 1:31)(it's the last high note of the solo).
Then Jimmy comes in for his own solo using the same idea as TD's "tribute."

Cheers,
Marvin