[Dixielandjazz] Verses

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 14 13:20:25 PST 2010

One of the neat things about rehearsing with Tex Wyndham on Tuesdays
is that his local band, The Red Lions, plays the verses to just about
all of the songs. (1500 in his book). Many are really neat and as
others have said a few really suck.

I agree completely with Scott Anthony in that the verses set to tone
for the "story". My favorite example is the verse to "That's Why They
Call Me Shine" (before the words to the chorus were modified in 1927
or so to talk stupidly about shining shoosies etc.

The original words sound racist against blacks until you hear the
verse. Then, if you are hip, you realize that this was a "signifying"
song that was really tongue in cheek about the bigotry many whites had
for blacks back in 1910. Blacks realized that the words of the chorus
really meant that white folks were kind of stupid in their prejudice
against blacks. "Just because" etc.

And when you hear the verse you realize this is not racist but rather
a "signifying" song.

VERSE:

When I was born they christened me plain Samuel Johnson Brown,
I hadn't grown so very tall 'fore some folks in this town.
Had changed it round to Sambo; I was Rastus to a few,
Then Chocolate Drop was added by some others that I knew.
And then to cap the climax, I was strolling down the line,
When someone shouted, Fellas, hey! Come on and pipe the shine.
But I don't care a bit. Here's how I figure it:

CHORUS:

Just because my hair is curly
And Just because my teeth are pearly
Just because I always wear a smile
Likes to dress up in the latest style
Just because I'm glad I'm livin,
Takes trouble smilen, never whine
Just because my color's shady.,
Slightly different, maybe that's why they call me shine.

Hey, in 1910 this was a protest song, maybe the first in jazz, No?
Well certainly a parody. Just perhaps that's why Louis and Ella and
Chick Webb et al had no trouble playing/singing it.

For the black perspective see: (especially the bottom of page 3,  and
then pages 4 & 5 which discuss Miss Hannah from "Savannah" and "Shine".

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2838/is_n2_v29/ai_17534807/pg_3

And who doesn't love the verse to Stardust when played as a sensuous
ballad? I will never forget how the late trombonist Glenn Dodson use
to play the verse and chorus as a solo in our dance medleys. It would
bring tears to the Dancers eyes, it was so beautiful.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband