[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 14:57:45 PST 2010

Hello folks,
Just back from Stan Ross' Sharon Stompers show at the Young Israel
synagogue in Natania (some 20 miles north of Tel-Aviv).
That excellent performance celebrated the leader's 80th birthday, as
well as his recuperation after a heart surgery some three months ago.
With him was a founder member of the band, Amnon Ben-Artzi, on
trombone, old stalwarts Harvey  "Zeke" Benson and Evie (whose surname
I can't recall right now) on drums and piano, respectively, Jacques
Sany on soprano sax, listmate Elazar Larry Brand on banjo, trumpet and
vocals, a very good and swwinging  guitarist and bassist whose names I
cannot recall right now 9they will surely come back as soon as I hit
the "send" button).
The band, with the leader apparently completely recovered,  played
better than it had in a long time, the five strong rhythm section
giving it a splendid lift.  Larry is a very good banjo player, and the
way he blended with the guitarist was truly outstanding.  He also sang
Tishomingo Blues (and then told us that anybody who could believe that
a black person could long for Tishomingo certainly was not from
Mississippi but rather from Brooklyn).
As a surprise to the leader, a group of his children and grandchildren
came on stage, one with a trombone, and, backed by the band sans Stan,
played and sang "Hallo, Daddy" (it became Pappy when the grandchildren
took over, to the melody of "Hello Dolly").  Stan was visibly moved.
Both the leader and the MC, Rabbi Jackson (or was it Jacobs)
demonstrated excellent sense of humour.  The Rabbi announced that it
was "Stan's annual last concert" (as Stan had many times announced
that "this was his last concert" and he would not play anymore).  One
joke I remember went something like this (a shortened version): Jackie
Dunlop went to some Scottish festival, where people wore kilts, and
entered a pub for a drink.  A friend asked him: "But Jackie, why are
you wearing a McIntyre tartan?", to which Jackie replied: Don't you
know that Dunlop has been makin' tyres for a long time?"  Stan's
Scottish accent made it sound much better than it reads.

I must admit that there was at least one joke I did not understand
because of the Irish pronunciation and accent of the Rabbi (but
without it it probably would not have been funny).
Anyway, this was money well spent and a very enjoyable concert indeed.

Cheers, and support live jazz!